Sunday, December 9, 2012

READ-A-THON! X-It by Jane George: Chapter 10-12 “All the broken families”

*THIS POST CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THE BOOK

Check out the previous posts of the Read-A-Thon!

Disclaimer: This book contains some descriptions of sexual nature (that only adds to the plot and characterization, if I may add).


Once again, what X-It is about:

Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 210
Publication Date: Mar 26, 2012
Website: Jane George | X-It on Goodreads

Synopsis:


LOVE IS A DRUG.


In 1980 NYC, eighteen-year-old J.J. Buckingham is an uptight trendoid. Working as a mannequin painter and a counter girl, she moonlights as a creature of the nightclubs. J.J. falls for aloof, crazy-talented artist and bicycle messenger X-It. In order to win his love, she succumbs to the dark machinations of drug dealer Marko Voodoo. X-It will love her if she’s the queen of underground Manhattan, right? Her plan backfires with horrendous consequences. Can J.J. find her way out of a maze of drugs, clubs, and danger?


In Chapter 10-12...

We are introduced to J.J. and X-It’s families, both dysfunctional in their own way. J.J. has a mother whose only contacts to her are postcards and long-distance phone calls, a father who is brain-damaged and doesn’t recognize her, and a grandma who was the one who signed her parents’ divorce papers. X-It has a family who calls him Thomas and disapproves of his life and his friends.

My thoughts

Firstly, I want to apologize for the late post, all kinds of things have been happening yesterday and I couldn't find the time to write this till now!

Anyway…
WOW, that was one of the best reading sessions I've ever had! Totally blown me away – I so wanted to keep reading and find out what would happen to J.J.! The pacing was so tightly-packed, the story full of interesting plot points! There’s not a single excessive word!

And I got what I wanted in the last post! The backstory was enough to help fill some of the contradictions in the characterization, like how J.J. craves to be a rebel slash punk-chic, and still keeps her morality intact (instead of sinking to the depth of Voodoo and the like).

These chapters also come the reappearance of a character I haven’t talked about (I thought he would not be important, but maybe I was wrong :P), Michael. I’ll just let J.J. describe him for you:


Michael’s ability to be practical after being woken in the middle of the night is just the tonic I need.

Yes, this guy is reasonable. He is kind, caring, and gentle. He is perfect.
Kind of too perfect for me.

On my first read, I was swooning over him about how sweet he is, but when I reread the chapters, he seems too good to be real. He’s either a serious flaw in the author’s otherwise amazing characterization, or we are going to find that Michael is more than meet the eyes. It doesn't have to be a huge plot twist or anything (like, for example, he turned out to be, say, the one who supplies Voodoo with drugs - now that would make for an interesting story), just a few small faults will do. (Keeping my fingers crossed for this!)

To backtrack a bit: The story was so fast-paced that I was skipping over passages and passages to find out what happened next! So I had to do a reread, and even so, Jane George didn't disappoint. She managed to make the languages, the descriptions and comparisons so heart-wrenching, so real, and yet still have a bit of “her” in it. Here’s one of my favorites:


The department store would make a fantastic nightclub. This thought sticks X-It into the forefront of my mind with the accuracy of a switchblade.

There’s also one awesome scene when J.J. watches a muskrat drown in the flooding river, and in my opinion, was a great allegory for her own situation.

The thing is, who – or what – is the water? Her family, her friends in New York, or her life there? What do you think?

Until tomorrow then – I mean this evening!Don’t forget to comment on what your thoughts on X-It are so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Although sometimes I can't reply to all of them, but I do read (and appreciate) each and every one :)